This is an ideation workshop. The purpose is to use the scenarios created in the previous workshop as a basis and create many radical ideas.
• This workshop should be carried out in two versions. One where a wide and overall problem is identified and used in the scenarios from the Target Re-boxing workshop, and one where the participants can choose a more narrow and specific problem from scenarios created in the Target Re-boxing workshop. The point of carrying out the two different variations is that they give very different perspectives which can generate many interesting ideas.
• The warm up exercise is physical in order to make the participants touch and break boundaries between them. It is especially important in this workshop since the main method of this workshop is metaphor ideation which is one of the more tricky methods.
• Metaphor ideation can be tricky, and it is the facilitator’s job to help the group understand the method, then open up enough to use it successfully.
• The pictures for the random pictures session are prepared and brought by the facilitator.
• During the idea development one person of each pair has to rotate after half the session in order to infuse new thoughts and perspectives into the development.
• The group easily falls back on the well known existing products when looking for solutions. It is very important that the facilitator makes sure to keep the group’s focus far away from the company and existing offers throughout the workshop.
INTRODUCTION 5 min
Present aim and outline and recap previous workshop.
WARM UP 10 min
Make the participants stand in a circle and reach out with both hands in front of them. Then they are to grab the first hand that they come close to with each hand, so that each participant is holding hands with two different people across the circle. The next task is to, without letting go of each others’ hands, resolve the hand-knot so that the group is standing in a circle again, but this time linked together by their hands.
METAPHOR IDEATION 20 min
Explain the exercise. Present the first question or problem defined in the Target Re-boxing workshop and introduce metaphor ideation. The participants should find metaphors to the problem and possible solutions in: 1. the human body, 2. nature, 3. outer space, 4. a fairytale world. Strict facilitation needed to keep focus. One of the participants documents the ideas on how to solve the problem.
RANDOM PICTURES 7min
Explain the exercise. Give the participants a random picture as a starting point for their ideation. The participants use their associations from the random word to generate ideas on how to solve the problem. Introduce random pictures at set intervals to fuel associations.
INTRODUCTION OF SECOND PROBLEM 2 min
Present a second question or problem from the Target Re-boxing workshop.
METAPHOR IDEATION 2 15 min
RANDOM PICTURES 2 5 min
SUMMARY AND CHOICE OF IDEA TO DEVELOP 10 min
Summarize to get an overview of the ideas generated through Metaphor Ideation and Random Pictures. Divide the participants in pairs and let each pair chose one idea to develop further.
IDEA DEVELOPMENT IN PAIRS 15 min
Have the participants document their idea development in writing and drawing. After 10 min, switch one person of each pair and have the participant continue the idea development.
PRESENTATION OF IDEAS 20 min
Encourage development and building on each other’s ideas during discussion.
SUMMARY AND DISCUSSION 10 min
Summarize the ideas and let the participants share their impressions from the workshop.